Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sideline Fans

If we were made in the image of God and God LOVES relationships then I'm pretty sure we weren't meant to go it alone. Especially during difficult seasons. My first homework assignment in counseling was to form my "team." She told me I had to have people surround me, people that really loved me. Authentic love. This was tough because it meant being real. It meant coming out of my cave and asking for help. The antithesis of depression.

But it was the first tiny step into the light. It defined friendship for me. Being able to call or send a text to my loved ones and knowing they were praying was comfort. Emails of encouragement, stories of their victories, and coffee dates proved to push me more into the light. I didn't see it then, but every conversation was an answered prayer. I assumed God forgot me, at least for a little while, because I couldn't feel Him. I didn't understand why the peace didn't come. It seemed so easy for Him to just divvy out. But He gave it in another way. Support came through those who were willing.

It seems simple, but to be willing is a choice. Life is crazy. We spend days in a hundred different places in our minds and to stop to hold a hand is willed effort. I hope I'm someone's call one day. I hope my selfishness never clouds a cry for help. I am thankful mine was heard.

No comments: