Sunday, August 04, 2013

Invoking the Spirit.

Remember learning about Greek & Roman mythology in school where the story began by invoking the gods? It was as if the story could not be told or retold to generations unless the source was invoked. Somehow along the way I started thinking I had to invoke God in order to make him come alive in my life and story. Ever do that too?

Days and weeks go by and I realize I haven't spent time with him. The kind of time I believe worth it and satisfactory. For me this is soft leather journal time with my new Bible and favorite pen and of course some yummy coffee or a ginger ale (the mecca of soda in my heart will always be ginger ale). So when this doesn't happen or I realize my go-to method of dealing with a stressful situation isn't to pray or seek wisdom I start to fear I've lost him. This is really hilarious if you ponder this ridiculous thought process. I mean where do I think he's gone? Is he waiting out my storms on a lawn chair until he hears his named called? Probably not....however I live as if he is.

On the way to church this morning I thought to myself I should spend some time with God today.  Someone who is referred to as "I AM" probably doesn't need to be invoked. The reality is he hasn't missed a beat of my seconds and minutes. I don't have to invite him into what is going on as if am I turning on my hair dryer. He isn't real as long as I call out to him for a conversation. He's real either way.

He is real when I mutter a quick prayer before a meeting, when I cry out for my family, when I pray on my knees for my husband, when I complain at work over and over again, when I choose television or pinterest before picking up a Bible, when I curse a friend for her behavior behind her back, when I choose over-eating to make myself feel better, and the list goes on...

I hope some of this misshapen post has made some sense. Quiet time and prayer isn't invoking his existence but instead invoking ours. 


No comments: