Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Concrete

Totally had one of those moments last night where you hear something rephrased that you think you've known all along and it rocks your world. Lately my posts have been about a struggle with measuring up and making sure God and I were a-ok. And the tension is that I should know we're ok, I've been in church my whoooole life.


My mom took us Sunday morning and night as well as Wednesday night. I've sat through felt-board Sunday school lessons, puppet shows in children's church, vacation bible schools, youth group, and so on. I was told about Jesus' love for me, about what he did on the cross, and what his resurrection really meant for us all. I should know this by heart and yet I still want to enter his good graces by not doing the wrong thing. I still fear his disappointment in me when I make a poor choice.

But last night Dot Bowen said something in Bible study that changed everything. (Dramatic phrasing I know, but it really did!)

She said, "Did you know that you cannot change the character of God?"

God is infinitely good, loving, and the author of grace. He cannot be anything but that. There is NOTHING that I do that will change his character. My sin nature cannot change his affection. Sin hurts and changes me...not him.

So there you have it; His concrete character and the way he feels about me is staying put.



Cue the music in the background...

"On Christ, the solid rock, I stand

all other ground is sinking sand"

No comments: