Monday, July 27, 2015

Home to Me

It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.  I love that statement, now more than ever.  It's from blogger and writer, Myquillan Smith.  Recently Jeff and I moved into our very first home. An actual home that is ours, well in 360 more payments it will be.

I wanted to love it here immediately. I wanted to be proud of it. I wanted my family and friends to love it too. The truth is though I didn't love it at first. It was a blank canvas away from my home and everything I knew. Suddenly I missed the tiny condo that smelled and felt like us. It was only the next town over but the difference of miles felt long and wide. We used to pass our favorite restaurants and well groomed sidewalks on the way home. Now we pass a roller rink and hay pasture. I realize this sounds snobbish and I truly apologize because it does. Thank God He humbles.

At first I wanted to change it all. Walls, floors, counters, windows, even new vent registers. Suddenly I needed new everything because I thought that would make me happy and fun to show others. But what I got was the wrong paint colors and an over-budget list of things that cannot happen yet. Seriously, my room looks purple and not gray. And in the right light, the down stairs looks a bit peach. Nope, didn't want peach.

Let the humbling begin. At first it was a little cotton, a mirror and a few of my milk glass pieces that suddenly created a vignette on my mantle that felt a little like me. And then it was simply using what I had to decorate my new canvas. Pictures went up and a new yellow rug was laid. And it began to come together, not perfect but together. New neighbors were met and the most beautiful sunsets shone over the pasture. In fact I love every sunset now over that pasture as I drive. Reminds me of my Grandfather's farm. And don't be surprised if Jeff and I skate a few laps and gain a few bruises at the roller rink as we remember being young. God reminded me that our new home didn't have to be perfect but instead a place we call home, filled with love for Knox and others. I want it to be a place of rest and peace. I love this home now and I love that God decided to gift us it.

I think any home can be your dream home if you love it enough to let it be you. So thank you Sterling Court. May the memories commence...


No comments: